Do you know the lifeboat release and recovery device?
Views: 339 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2022-06-17 Origin: Site
According to incomplete statistics, since 1993, there have been many deaths and injuries in accidents caused by lifeboat launching and release devices, most of which occurred during drills.
As the main life-saving equipment of ships, lifeboats have always received the attention of IMO for their performance and condition. The release device is the key equipment of the rescue system. Since the SOLAS Convention came into effect in 1974, IMO has repeatedly raised the technical requirements and maintenance requirements for the release device of the lifeboat, so the device has become the focus of PSC inspections in various countries.
The convention norm requires
SOLAS 1996 Amendment (MSC47(66):
Rescue boat embarkation,launching and recovery arrangements
1．The rescue boatembarkation and launching arrangements shall be such that the rescue boat canbe boarded and launched in the shortest possible time.
2 . If the rescue boatis one of the ship's survival craft, the embarkation arrangements and launchingstation shall comply with the requirements of regulations 11 and 12.
3. Launching arrangements shall comply with therequirements of regulation 16. However, all rescue boats shall be capable ofbeing launched, where necessary utilizing painters, with the ship makingheadway at speeds up to 5 knots in calm water.
4 . Recovery time ofthe rescue boat shall be not more than 5 min in moderate sea conditions whenloaded with its full complement of persons and equipment. If the rescue boat isalso a lifeboat, this recovery time shall be possible when loaded with itslifeboat equipment and the approved rescue boat complement of at least sixpersons.
5. Rescue boatembarkation and recovery arrangements shall allow for safe and efficient handlingof a stretcher case. Foul weather recovery strops shall be provided for safetyif heavy fall blocks constitute a danger.
Types of Rigging
FALL PREVENTER DEVICES
Fall preventer device is a short flexible nylon rope or steel rope with a shackle at each end, and the upper and lower ends are respectively hung on the uppermost loop on the sling and the auxiliary hook of the boat hook. (its strength must meet the inspection requirements of the classification society, and it should be a product approved by the classification society, and periodic inspections are also required)
The function of the device is to hang up the rope during lifeboat drills and maintenance, and when the lifeboat hook is accidentally disengaged, the lifeboat can be hooked, which can effectively prevent the lifeboat from accidentally falling.
Recovery strop is generally made of nylon rope or soft steel wire. One end is equipped with a steel shackle, and the other end is equipped with a fixed lifting ring of the same size as the lifting ring on the sling block. The length is usually about 1.2 meters. (The strength must meet the inspection requirements of the classification society, and it should be a product approved by the classification society, and periodic inspections are also required)
The function is that when the lifeboat recovery operation is carried out under severe sea conditions, because the lifeboat fluctuates greatly in the waves, it is not only very difficult to directly hang the davit ring, but also the weight of the davit block is heavy, and it is very easy for the davit block to collide with the lifeboat or even hit the lifeboat. Accidents involving injured persons, the use of recovery strop can effectively avoid the above situations.
Hangingoff pendant is a long steel cable with a steel shackle at each end, usually about 2 meters in length. (The strength must meet the inspection requirements of the classification society, and it should be a product approved by the classification society, and periodic inspections are also required)
The first function is to use the recovery strop to collect the boat in bad sea conditions with the use of the suspension cable for the boat collection operation; the second is to suspend the boat during normal maintenance, which can be used for decoupling and boat hook maintenance.
How to use these devices?
1. During the lifeboat launching drill, hang up the fall preventer device before launching the boat.
2. When the boat is about one meter above the water surface, release the fall preventer device.
3. After continuing to lower the lifeboat into the water, release the hook, and the lifeboat can drive away freely at this time.
4. Hook up the sling block and hang the recovery strop shackle on the second chain ring under the sling block (do not hang it on the hoist ring at the end of the sling block, it will affect the hook of the sling ring when the boat is finally retracted), lower the strop sling block.
5. Attach the Recovery strop to the lifeboat hook.
6. Hang the suspension cable on the triangular eye plate on the boom.
7. Lift the lifeboat until the sling block just hits the boom and stop.
8. Hang the lower end of the hangingoff pendant on the auxiliary hook of the lifeboat.
9. Raise the brake weight of the winch and lower the sling, so that the hanging off pendant is stressed.
10. Unhook the quick recovery cable on the davit block, continue to lower the davit block, and hook the davit ring into the lifeboat hook.
11. After the davit ring is hooked up, all personnel disembark from the boat, lift the lifeboat to the storage position, stow the lifeboat and tie it up, and finally remove the hanging off pendant and fall preventer device and other rigging.
We are Ningbo new marine lifesaving EQ. We are a professional lifeboat manufacturer, we have first-class production equipment, superb technology, and a professional after-sales service team. Our totally enclosed lifeboat is used on the tanker, dry cargo vessel, offshore platform, etc. The boats are used to protect and provide an escape in an emergency evacuation or accident happen onboard or offshore platform. The boats are launched and recovered by gravity davits, platform davits, or hydraulic davits.
Our production strictly implements the ISO 9001:2015 quality system, and the current annual production capacity is more than 300 sets. Our company has relatively complete CCS, BV, ABS, RINA, IRS, and RMRS.NK.EC and other classification societies certificates.
Customer demand is the driving force for our development. We adhere to customer-centricity, respond quickly to customer needs, and provide customers with effective services. This is the direction of our work and the criterion for value evaluation. Customer success is our success.
If you are looking for a reliable gravity-launched lifeboat manufacturer, please choose us!